April 1st marks the official start of Dig Safe Month across Canada!
The BC Common Ground Alliance and its members have designated April as Dig Safe Month in BC and have received a formal proclamation from the Province.
This month is dedicated to raising awareness of safe digging practices across the province to improve worker and public safety and reduce damages to underground infrastructure.
Dig Safe Month is designed to coincide with the unofficial start of spring digging season and to serve as a reminder to homeowners and contractors that they need to call or click before they start digging.
Ensuring the safety of those who work or live in the vicinity of underground facilities and protecting vital services is everyone’s responsibility.
The BCCGA and its members encourage homeowners and contractors to Click or Call Before You Dig by contacting BC 1 Call to prevent injuries, property damage and inconvenient outages. Throughout April, BCCGA and its members will be leading local campaigns across the province to spread awareness about safe digging practices and “Click or Call Before You Dig”.
Here are some ways you can participate:
- Support Dig Safe initiatives by contacting BC 1 Call before beginning any outdoor digging project, large or small.
- If a neighbour is planning a digging project, remind them to contact BC 1 Call before they break ground.
- Check out our Best Practices to learn what to do when you plan to dig!
- Check out our Contractor Resources page – it has Tool Box talks (like Call Before You Dig), links to videos and infrastructure owner websites, and links to our Safe Digging Cards in 3 languages (English, Punjabi and Simple Chinese).
- Go do digsafecanada.com and use the social media resources to spread the word on your channels.